Friday, May 22, 2015

First Pour

The first two trucks arrived here a few days ago to pour 18 yards (13.76 cubic meters) of concrete.
The weather was cloudy, cool and perfect for the pour. But inexperience showed as we struggled to get the surface finished before the material began to set. It didn't help that the first truck got lost on the way to the job site and we didn't request to add more water to the mix so it came out really thick and set up really fast.

Besides, I was way too busy freaking out about the bowing footer frames!
I really underestimated the amount of force exerted against those walls.

In the end, we got an "OK" job.
(Although I would have been upset if we paid a crew of professionals to do this level of work, but you get what you pay for).

Once the second pour is done, I'll have to mark the slab and rent a concrete saw to remove the bowed sections to make it straight again. I'll also have to install new lag bolts since those were pushed out 3" (75mm) on each side. I may even rent a concrete planer to smooth the surface a bit more. But we'll see.

Tomorrow morning the second set of trucks will be arriving.




No comments:

Post a Comment