Sunday, October 18, 2015

We have heat!

Friday was spent running the wiring for the HVAC through conduit and getting the disconnect box set up. I used some left over wiring that was a bit too large and just barely fit into the 1/2" conduit, so it took about four hours to get the run completed. The wiring could have been smaller and the conduit could have been larger - both options cost more money, but in the end I've got a splice free connection of over-sized wire that will easily handle the 30 Amps required by the A/C compressor.

Saturday morning I had to run to Springfield to show the apartment and get a contract signed. I also had to build out a stair railing for one of the tenants. I got home after lunch and started on the gas connections and thermostat. At the end of the day, I was a 1/2"x2" black iron nipple away from completion and asked one of the kids to pick up the parts for me since they were still in town.

Which brings me to this morning.

By 0800hrs I had everything connected and leak checked for the initial firing. I clicked the thermostat switch to HEAT and just like that everything spun up as expected, the gas fired cleanly and the furnace kicked on. I had to open the side door a little while to air out the burnt oil odor from the new furnace, but it really wasn't so bad.

I ran it through a couple of cycles and did a second leak check. No issues whatsoever to report, but I'll be keeping my eye on it for a while.

And FYI - there was frost on the ground two days ago, so we were cutting it a little close.

After church service today, I'll be working on the hydronic heating and maybe I'll get to run a few outlets.


Initial firing - some steam from the exhaust


Temporary (Oversized) Air Filter

No comments:

Post a Comment